Fequently Asked Questions
Press "Ctrl + F" to find the question you want.
1. Can MagicCute Data Backup create a 100% accurate disk image of current setup including all programs, passwords, user preferences and user-specific settings, address books, bookmarks, favorites, documents, device and printer drivers, etc.
Answer: MagicCute Data Backup will create 100% accurate disk image of your windows setup. Including boot record, windows/linux, all programs, passwords, user preferences, settings, address books, bookmarks, phone records, all documents, all drivers, pictures, musics ...
2. Can MagicCute Data Backup create disk image and stored it on bootable media types?
Answer: Yes. MagicCute supports creating disk backup on Bootable DVD. Or you can save the hard drive image in your usb key drive and create a Rescue CD to restore it later if windows is crashed.
3. Can MagicCute Data Backup Restore all the data in image file/Bootable CD/Bootable DVD to equal-size (or larger) hard drive or partition?
including system, all programs, passwords, settings, address books, bookmarks, favorites, documents, device and printer drivers, etc.
Answer: MagicCute Data Backup can restore all the data in the image file/bootable DVD media to a equal or larger size hard drive. After cloning, the target drive will be the same as the source drive.
4. Can MagicCute Data Backup perform disk-to-disk cloning (identical copy of one drive to another of equal or larger size, automatic partition resizing, etc.).?
Answer: MagicCute Data Backup support disk cloning. If your windows is crashed, You can create a MagicCute Data Backup Rescue CD to perform a windows-less clone or restore. If your target hard drive is larger than the source drive, MagicCute data backup support automatic partition resizing or create a new partition to make full use of the rest space.
5. Does MagicCute Data Backup supports hardware upgrades (restoring image to a different PC, or the same PC but with a different motherboard, etc.)?
Answer: MagicCute Data Backup support resetting the hard drive state in your new copy of windows. It makes windows to reinstall all the necessary driver of current computer. But please do not copy the windows from IDE to SATA interface hard drive or SATA to IDE. Windows does not support resetting the low level hard drive driver.
6. I run Windows XP and Susie Linux 9 as a dual-boot system. Is it possible to Disk to Disk copy the entire HDD?
Answer: Yes, it is possible. MagicCute Data Backup as it makes an exact copy of the source disk.
7. I connected an image as Virtual Drive and tried to change its content. But when I re-connect the image, my changes are lost. Why?
Answer: A connected image is read-only. You cannot change or add anything to it. All the changes will be lost in short time, even if you may see them.
8. I want MagicCute Data Backup to notify my system and other application that it makes a system backup. Is that possible?
Answer: Yes. MagicCute Data Backup notify the system automatically. The applications must support Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to be notified.
Answer: First of all, check if all components are on the same disk system disk, usually, disk C:. (For example, pagefile.sys may be on another logical disk.) If not, you have to combine them to the system disk, or to create and then therefore restore all disks the system components reside on. Failure to do so may result in your system freezing at startup.
Creating a backup image of the system disk does not much differ from that action for a non-system disk.
Restoring data to the system disk is much trickier. You cannot restore data to a system disk directly from the Windows version of MagicCute Data Backup; you have to use the startup one. Here you have two options:
1-st: Create a special Rescue CD/DVD disc. It will help when the system is corrupted and cannot be started, and it does not have some other problems mentioned below. But you have to have a CD/DVD drive in your system.
2-nd. Restore the system with the startup CD/DVD. Then you will have to select an image from which data is to be restored and the target disk/drive.
Please note that that when you select partitions/disks/drives, you can see Windows-style disk letters like C:. They are the same both for the Windows and startup versions.
Answer: In some situtation, hardware will limit the clone speed.
10. Why the clone speed is slow?
For example: If you want to backup the partition in internal hard drive to an image file located in USB hard drive, the clone speed will be slow down to adapt the USB interface.
If your hard drive has some bad blocks, they will slow down the clone speed. Because the program will try to read the bad block for many times to get the data.
If you download or copy files to the source partition while cloning the hard drive, the clone speed will be remarkably slow down.
11. Why the file name of image file displayed in Explorer is blue?
Answer: Because MagicCute Data Backup use the windows compress function to create the image file. Windows system will mark these files with blue color. In addition, ths size of the image files displayed in Explorer is the original size. The actual size can be found in "File Properties" page.
12. Can I clone XP in my internal hard drive to a USB Hard Drive and boot from the USB Hard Drive?
Answer: An installed XP system does not support to boot from a complete different storage. for example, if you install XP in an IDE hard drive and you clone the xp to a USB drive, the copy of XP in USB drive will boot failed in most cases. If you clone the XP system in USB drive to the IDE hard drive, the xp in IDE hard drive will boot successfully.